Thursday 18 December 2014

Must try to catch up on December News! (Ironman and Suzie's Birthday)

Nov. 20, 2014

Suzie:

On the last weekend in November, our family was lucky to be invited on a boat cruise. Something we have been hoping to do all year! A big thank you to our adopted family (Wayne and Marie Smith & Ben and Sandra Smith-Samarin) for arranging to go on on Ivan Samarin's sailboat and tour the Swan River. It was gorgeous and so relaxing!


















Everything in December was all about Wayne's IRONMAN! I always count down the days until my birthday, starting around November 11th. But this year, I totally forgot about it. There was so much to think about: getting two cars, the four of us, all of Wayne's gear, and everything we needed down to Sue and Lawrie Schlueter's place in Yallingup to be ready, took a LOT of planning!

And it was all worth it! Wayne had a stellar day.....


more to come soon (see Wayne's post: Ironman Bussleton)


I had a great birthday week. A little too busy, but I survived. We arrived back from Bussleton exhausted. Then we went right into packing up the house, or at least starting the packing. Tuesday I did the same thing at work and packed up my office at Mater Christi. Then the fun began. A great birthday dinner on the 10th in Fremantle with a dozen close friends, all also on exchange. We met at the Sail and Anchor Hotel for drinks (where I met George Petro's twin!) and then walked next door to the Asian Court for some great Thai food. I was even spoiled by Krystin Rennie when she gave me a necklace like the one I've been admiring on her all year! Then the Ingleman's made a podcast copy of a Canadian comedian I will love! And on and on.... What a treat. I felt honoured to be celebrated during such a busy time for all of us just finishing work and packing up to go home!

For the record, Wayne gets credit for throwing me a surprise party! He tried to plan it on the 11th, but when I told him about my school concert and that I wouldn't be home until about 8pm. His face dropped! And he had to tell me all about his plan. So we moved the dinner to the 10th and it all worked out great. Thank you Wayne, kids, and friends for spoiling me with your company, gifts, and even the many Facebook and e-mail messages from home!

Then a long, long day on the 11th which ended with a school wide picnic dinner on the oval and a school Christmas concert! That was a first for me; it's not usually 90 degrees Fahrenheit
 and picnic weather for my birthday. I loved it.
Friday the 12th was my very last day of work with the kids and I must have gotten a hundred hugs goodbye! Sometimes teaching grade school is good 
Although Wayne was ready to leave me in Australia because I have come home from work every single day for 2 weeks with Christmas gifts and we don't know how we'll get it all home! But you should see all of the treats. Another good reason to teach primary school!!! 


Then Friday night we were off to a Christmas party at Sean and Krystin Rennie's in Mandurah (which included going crabbing- yum)! And just when I thought I couldn't manage another thing, we packed up the car for one last road trip to the very south coast of Australia. About a 900 km drive. Wave Rock and floating in a salt pool (just like the Dead Sea) was awesome. And beaches and marine life in Esperance were gorgeous!




No comments:

Post a Comment